To commemorate Duxford’s centenary, IWM commissioned sound artist Nick Ryan to create a site specific
sound sculpture. The core concept was to use light to transmit archival audio recordings of people’s memories of Duxford airbase. Kin was brought on as collaborators to design, produce and install the sculpture and technology.
My role within the project was Design Lead, I provided the following:
– Exploratory work to understand Nick Ryan’s vision to ensure cohesive and coherent end experience
Identifying how to ensure the most immersive and visceral experience for the visitor.
– Realisation of the shared vision for the piece.
– Design of the form of the plane.
– Working onsite with the fabricator to realise the main sculptural form.
– Design and fabrication of the handheld reader.